Benghazi Plant was built in three phases since 1960. Kiln lines are early Wedag/KHD design.
- Line BEN1 – 1965 – (out of operation since 1980)
- Line BEN2 – 1975, 820tpd of clinker (real capacity), in operation
- Line BEN3 – 1978, upgraded in 2010, 1350 tpd (real capacity) (out of operation since 2014).
- All these lines are somehow interconnected and using common areas and even some common equipment.
BEN 2 Lines Brief Description
- Separate limestone and clay crushers
- Storage hall for crushed limestone and clay homogenization. Local control
- Raw mill – ball mill with 1st generation separator. Local control. New baghouse filter from 2010.
- Homosilos – batch type
- Preheater – 4-stage preheater without precalcination, no by-pass
- Kiln, gas fired. Local control
- Clinker cooler – reciprocating cooler IKN from 2005 with roller crusher (old cooler was replaced), dedusting using multicyclones
- Cement mill – ball mill with 1st generation separator, baghouse filter, and pneumatic transport of cement to silos. Local control
- Dispatch – common for both Ben lines. Bulk and bags. Bags – manual loading.
- Line capacity (standard reachable) – 820 tpd clinker
BEN 3 Lines Brief Description
- Originally line nearly identical with Ben 2
- Upgrade done in 2010. Main changes:
- Central control room for the line, but “island” control of many areas stayed (e.g. cooler control system)
- Preheater modification – 4-stage-preheater with precalcination
- New kiln drive
- Clinker cooler baghouse filter
- Line capacity (standard reachable) – 1350 tpd clinker